Spanish prosecutors have opened a preliminary review into allegations that internationally acclaimed singer Julio Iglesias sexually assaulted two former employees at his homes in the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas.
The Spanish Prosecutor’s Office confirmed on Wednesday that it received a formal complaint earlier this month following media investigations that accused the Grammy-winning artist of sexual and physical abuse between January and October 2021. The alleged victims were reportedly employed at Iglesias’ Caribbean residences during that period.
- Advertisement -
Iglesias, 82, has not publicly addressed the accusations. His Miami-based attorney, Russell L. King, who lists the singer as a client, did not respond to media inquiries seeking comment.
According to court officials, the case could be brought before Spain’s National Court in Madrid, which has jurisdiction to hear cases involving alleged crimes committed abroad by Spanish citizens.
The non-governmental organization Women’s Link Worldwide announced that it is representing the two women. In a statement, the group said the complainants accuse Iglesias of crimes against sexual freedom, including sexual harassment, as well as human trafficking for forced labor and servitude.
The organization detailed that the women allege they were subjected to strict surveillance, including regular checks of their mobile phones. They claim they were prohibited from leaving the residence freely and forced to work up to 16 hours a day without contracts or rest days.
Women’s Link Worldwide confirmed that complaints were not filed with authorities in the Dominican Republic or the Bahamas, and it remains unclear whether investigations have been initiated in either country.
Senior attorney Gema Fernández said Spanish law offers stronger protections and legal pathways for victims of sexual violence and trafficking.
“After listening to what the women are seeking in terms of justice, filing a complaint with Spain’s National Court was the path that best aligned with their expectations,” Fernández said during an online press briefing.
The group’s executive director, Jovana Ríos Cisneros, revealed that prosecutors have granted the women protected witness status and plan to take their statements. No date has been set for the interviews.
Prosecutors have up to six months to determine whether formal criminal charges will be filed, a deadline that may be extended to one year under exceptional circumstances.
The investigation stems from a joint media report published by Spanish outlet elDiario.es and Univision Noticias, which first exposed the allegations. The women reportedly contacted journalists initially and were advised to seek legal representation.
Spain’s government responded cautiously to the reports. Government spokesperson Elma Saiz emphasized the administration’s commitment to combating gender-based violence.
“This government reaffirms its firm and total commitment to confronting any act of violence, harassment or aggression against women,” she said.
In the Dominican Republic, Attorney General’s Office spokesperson Panky Corcino declined to comment on whether a probe had been launched. By law, sexual assault cases in the country must be investigated regardless of whether a formal complaint is filed.
Iglesias is among the world’s most successful recording artists, with more than 300 million albums sold in multiple languages. Rising to fame in the 1970s and 1980s, he became a global music icon and later fathered pop superstar Enrique Iglesias.
He won a Grammy Award in 1988 for Best Latin Pop Performance for his album Un Hombre Solo and received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Recording Academy in 2019.
Spain’s Culture Minister Ernest Urtasun said the government is also reviewing whether to revoke Iglesias’ Gold Medal of Merit in the Fine Arts, which he received in 2010.
“It is something we are studying seriously,” Urtasun said. “When faced with allegations of this gravity, we feel obligated to evaluate such honors.”
The investigation remains in its early stages, with Spanish prosecutors now determining whether the case will proceed to formal criminal prosecution.