UN promises to ‘stand by’ Haitians on new approach to cholera fight

Create: 12/03/2016 - 10:20
Civil protection workers ask residents to evacuate their homes located near the Grise river in Tabarre, Haiti, in this Monday Ocober 3, 2016 file photo. The centre of Hurricane Matthew passed over south-western Haiti the following day. Cholera cases have increased since the passage of the hurricane.

UNITED NATIONS (CMC ) – The United Nations says it will be standing by the people of Haiti in the “long and thorough battle”, against cholera, as a new approach is being taken to fight the epidemic.

“This is an approach that goes to the root of the problem, with long-term investments in the sanitation facilities that the country needs to eradicate cholera; short-term investments to halt the progression of cholera; and, most importantly, putting people and communities affected by cholera at the heart of our efforts,” said Stéphane Dujarric, the spokesman for UN Secretary General Bank Ki-moon, on Wednesday, on the eve of the launch of the organisation’s new approach to the fight against cholera in French-speaking Caribbean country.

“The United Nations must listen to the Haitian people, must listen to the communities that have been affected by this disease,” he stated, adding that consultations with communities will be of great importance. “Only communities will be able to explain what they need and how we can help them.”

The new approach was announced last August and was launched by Ban yesterday.

It includes rapid interventions in areas where cases are reported and the prevention of future high-risk public health crises, the UN said.

The new approach on cholera also focuses on people, and proposes the establishment of a programme of material assistance and support to Haitians directly affected by the disease.

The new strategy will also include an individual approach, the spokesman said.

He said it will require a “precise identification of the victims of cholera and their family members”, and a funding threshold to establish “a lump sum for each death” due to cholera.

But Dujarric warned that this part of the strategy “will take much longer”.

“We know very well, and the secretary general knows very well, that the United Nations has a moral responsibility to the people most affected by the cholera epidemic,” he said. “We regret the terrible suffering endured by the Haitian people as a result of the epidemic.”

According to UN estimates, the programme is expected to cost about US$400 million over the next two years.

“It is not an insurmountable sum, and the secretary general is very hopeful that the General Assembly and the international community will show solidarity and will be there to help Haiti at a time when aid is needed,” Dujarric said.

“The most important in the long term is a sustained investment in the health network in Haiti to ensure that water distribution is at a level where water saves and feeds and water no longer poisons as we have seen with cholera,” he added.

The UN said the cholera outbreak in Haiti began in October 2010. It has affected an estimated 788,000 people and claimed the lives of more than 9,200.

“Concerted national and international efforts since then have resulted in a 90 per cent reduction in the number of suspected cases,” the UN said. “This number remains high, however, and recent outbreaks show the continued vulnerability of the population to the disease, which is preventable and treatable.”

 

Dislike
0

About Author