PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) — The police in Trinidad and Tobago are reporting that
a 15-year-old boy was shot a total of 37 times Saturday night, while three other people
were shot dead at a bar days later.
Relatives identified Andre Taylor at the Forensic Science Centre on Thursday. His
body bore gunshot wounds to the head, chest, back and both hands.
Relatives said Taylor lived in Chaguanas in Central Trinidad and had gone to
visit relatives in Belomt, just outside the capital where he intended to stay for
They said they didn’t know why anyone would have reason to shoot him 37
times and that he was not involved in any gang activity.
So far 91 people have been murdered since the start of the year. Last year the death toll stood at 461
Meanwhile, on Thursday night an opposition legislator called for fresh general
elections to deal with the rising crime situation in Trinidad and Tobago.
Opposition legislator, Dr Roodal Moonilal, said the country is very unsafe and
claimed that the Keith Rowley government which came to power in September
2015 is incapable of handling the crime situation.
His comments came in light of the murder of another three people who were
shot and killed at a bar in Debe, on Thursday night.
Police said that Kevin Fuller, 31, Terry Edwards, 34, and Sanjay Mahabir, 42,
were killed as the gunmen entered the Runway 69 Shorts Restaurant and Bar. A
fourth patron, a 19-year-old youth, has been hospitalised.
Media reports said that Mahabir, who may have thought it was a robbery, ran
from the bar and lay on the road. The killer ran up and shot him in the head.